Monday, February 1, 2010

Complete Disbelief

I still cannot believe that I'm back. I arrived last Tuesday morning (one day late) and within the first few days, overcame the jetlag and moved into an apartment in the Waterkant district.
Driving on the left still keeps me on my toes and I have walked to the wrong side of the car a couple times. The first time it happened was in London and it was the sharp reminder that I was actually going back to Cape Town. On Day 1, the biggest surprise was not the radio playing the latest hits like New Kids on the Block's The Right Stuff - the radio still leaves much to be desired - but seeing the people at the next table get rand (instead of dollars) out of their wallet. Cape Town is so familiar to me in terms of the city, the accent, and the culture that differences catch me off guard.

My first weekend was full of Cape Town's finest: early Saturday morning hike up Platteklip Gorge on Table Mountain and took the ride down. It was my first ride in the cableway and it was beautiful (and much faster). In the first picture, you can see the new stadium for the World Cup on the right of the picture.


















After a fabulous breakfast with Grant, we went to Franschhoek to a few vineyards and a picnic at Rickety Bridge. We took a different route home and found an Afrikaans monument near Paarl and stopped for a look.



That's the end of my pictures; Sunday was store visits, grocery shopping, Australian Open watching and a few afternoon beers, and an evening dinner watching the sunset on Camps Bay.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Radio not up to scratch? I wouldn't know what you were listening to (I presume KFM) but I would recommend Cape Talk radio, which is on short wave (567). But obviously it depends what your preferences are... I like the talk radio as several of the presenters are truely knowledgable. Though my knowledge ends at the "drive time" shows, so 17h-18h.

Green point would be in the left of that picture.

What culture differences did you pick up? (From your previous visits) I'd love to hear more about your experiences on the culture in SA. Also the sports. :-)

-Sakdoek

Anonymous said...

love the picture of the stair well.. along with the others .... think of you enjoying mid summer... good thoughts your way ...wonder how those young kids at the settlement are doing? love you...

Anonymous said...

quite interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.