Sunday, April 6, 2008

Home...

On my way back to San Francisco, I was asked a few times whether I was going home or on vacation... interesting to go home to vacation.

The trip back was fantastic. The first week in San Fran seemed like I hadn't been away and was filled with morning walks for coffee with Natalia and Senan, a beautiful motorcycle ride to Stinson with the clan (perhaps even a gang), rock climbing, great food, and of course meeting up with friends. Snowbird was as to be expected - refreshing to be in the mountains and so good to see family... and the purchase of a new board from 'Mr. Black' certainly has me looking forward to next season!

So, I'm back in Cape Town. My trip back was not too bad (overlooking the lost luggage) and I visited the Tate Modern in London. I'm finally recovering from a 2 week cold, but the extra downtime helped me finish The Fountainhead. Reading that books makes me miss classroom discussion - there were so many points where I'd want to stop and just talk to someone about what they thought. Any takers??

It's interesting to be close to the coverage of the Zimbabwe election; it's appalling how a leader can continue so devastatingly for so long and remain in power. There are a lot of Zim expats here who still have family and friends back home. Sad story on many fronts... but the outlook appears encouraging??

Friday was another black-out; I'm not sure why they are called brown outs if they are scheduled. When all electricity is out (including street and traffic lights so you don't even know you are flying through an intersection if you don't know the roads) except for those with generators, I'll be calling it a black out in my book.

About to head to meet someone for my first Xhosa lesson (well, second if you count my overtired attempt on the LHR-CPT flight)... Grant is cooking dinner tonight - and then I get to go pick up Ana and Pablo at the airport - exciting!!

Oh and here's the picture from our full moon hike Lion's Head from February (that's the moon rising!):

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what kind of lessons are those....? get ready for changes ...nothing earth shocking...