Monday, June 25, 2007

Thank You~

Another incredible weekend - made even more outstanding with the arrival of Jack and Emma! A quick summary of the weekend: Friday evening, Patricia and I went out for Italian at La Perla (definitely will be a favorite of the trip!) and then had a quiet evening at her place. Saturday morning we woke up early and drove to the Salt River Neighborhood Goods Market, which is a farmer's market with mostly organic treats. Then we toured the District Six Museum.

Up until the 1970s, District Six was home to almost a tenth of the city of Cape Town’s population. In 1966, the apartheid government declared District Six a white only area under the Group Areas Act. By 1982, 60 000 people had been forcibly removed to barren outlying areas aptly known as the Cape Flats (the townships), and their houses in District Six were flattened by bulldozers.

Following the museum visit, we explored more of the city before heading home... as it was time for me to get ready for my first rugby match!!! It was so much fun and surprisingly, easier to pick up than American football - I'm definitely looking forward to watching a few more matches.

Jack and Emma arrived Saturday evening and we celebrated with another braai (this time a genuine braai with a true fire - no charcoal).

And Sunday, I spent the early hours of my birthday reading in bed while listening to the waves. It was perfect - probably also because I knew I had friends from home, albeit fast asleep and unadjusted to the 9 hour change. Then a group of us hopped in a bus and headed to Stellenbosch for a day of wine tasting and great food. We got back as the sun was setting - leaving us with enough time for naps to recharge - so we could head to Camps Bay for a few drinks at a bar... you wouldn't believe the people watching!

Tonight was home cooked dinner with good company...

2 comments:

Ana Maria said...

Love reading about your adventures. Although I forget to read your blog, but then when I do I read a few of them all at once and it's great!

Unknown said...

very warm in minnesota... working on the red mini and doing local things as in wis....hope you had a great birthday...love you.... give those other two a hug from me...looks interesting